Westminster International University in Tashkent (WIUT) launched PhD and DSc programmes (including Independent researcher scheme) in two disciplines:
Econometrics & Statistics (08.00.06).
Admission and study at the graduate school will be based on the Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Uzbekistan dated May 22, 2017 No. 304 “On Measures of Further Improvement of Postgraduate Education”.
Researchers pursuing an advanced degree can register for PhD or DSc programmes for full time or part time modes including Independent researcher scheme.
WIUT will offer graduate courses such as:
- Government or University funded PhD
- Self-sponsored PhD
Registration for both programmes is open from 15th September until 15th October of each year. Note that candidates may enroll for an Independent researcher scheme quarterly based on Resolution of Cabinet Ministers №304 (22.05.2017).
For more information about the requirements, please refer to the Resolutions of the Cabinet of Ministers №304 (dated on 22.05.2017) and №606 (dated on 19.07.2019) and Supreme Attestation Commission policies.
For inquiries about the WIUT graduate programmes please contact Nilufar Rashitova at firstname.lastname@example.org or call at +998712387415.
Requirements and study process
- Master’s degree or equivalent diploma of higher education (according to specialty programmes);
- Research achievements, including at least one scientific article (journal paper) published in a scientific journal, and at least two abstracts in scientific conference proceedings in the relevant fields, which can form the basis of the PhD dissertation.
- Scientific and pedagogical work experience of at least two years or the presence of certain scientific achievements (patents for inventions or copyright certificates) is additional to the above documents for Independent researcher applicants.
The applications for study in PhD and DSc programmes will be accepted by the University Selection Committee from September 15 to October 15 of each year. Note that candidates may enroll for an Independent researcher scheme quarterly; the application period covers between September 15 and October 15, January 15 and February 15, April 15 and May 15, July 15 and August 15.
- Copy of a master’s diploma, or a diploma of higher education (according to specialty programmes).
- A copy of the work book (employee record book), certified in accordance with the established procedure (for working applicants).
- List of published scientific articles, as well as their copies.
- Research proposal
Holders of the Government Scholarship of the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan present a copy of the relevant document.
For Independent researcher (PhD):
- A copy of a master’s diploma or a diploma of higher education (according to specialty. programmes)
- A copy of the work book (employee record book), certified in the prescribed manner.
- List of scientific papers and their copies.
- Recommendation(s) from employer/head/supervisors.
- Research proposal
Entrance examinations for PhD are held annually from November 1 to 25.
Applicants for PhD studies take basic exams in two subjects:
- Specialty Exam
- Foreign Language* (the language which studied at previous levels of education).
* Holders of IELTS certificates (with an average score of at least 5.5), TOEFL (PBT) (at least 567 points), TOEFL (iBT) (at least 87 points), CEFR (with a level of at least B2) are exempted from Language exam.
The results of enrollment are carried out until December 5; study period begins in January of the next year.
PhD candidates paid a stipend equivalent to the basic salary of research fellow.
The candidate, his supervisor (scientific advisor) will be awarded if candidate defense his/her PhD or DSc dissertation ahead of schedule, at least 6 months before the deadline for graduation.
Applicants for a PhD degree prior to the dissertation defense must:
- pass qualification exams in a specialty and a foreign language;
- provide a broad discussion of the results of the dissertation at international and national scientific seminars and conferences;
- have at least 3 (three) scientific articles ((including one international ) that reflect the main results of the dissertation published in scientific journals defined by the Supreme Attestation Commission.
Requirements for completing studies at postgraduate educational institutions. PhD candidate for the three years of study should:
- compile and approve an individual plan on the dissertation topic;
- compile and approve the theoretical and methodological programme in the area of specialization;
- publish at least 1 (one) scientific article on the topic of the dissertation in specialized scientific journals indicated in the list of the Supreme Attestation Commission;
- participate with a report on the topic of the dissertation in a scientific conference;
- make a report at a seminar at the university on the results of an analytical review on the dissertation topic (together with the supervisor);
- publish at least 1 (one) scientific article on the dissertation topic in specialized scientific journals indicated in the list of the Supreme Attestation Commission
- publish at least 1 (one) thesis of the report on the dissertation topic in the materials of scientific conferences;
- publish at least 1 (one) scientific article in a foreign journal indicated in the list of the Supreme Attestation Commission;
- participate with a report at a scientific seminar of the scientific and organizational unit of the university on preliminary results of the thesis;
- provides a report on the progress of the individual plan on the topic of the dissertation;
- receive certificates on the implementation of scientific results from relevant organizations;
- complete the dissertation, draw up a dissertation and an abstract in accordance with the requirements of the Supreme Attestation Commission;
- present the completed dissertation work at the scientific and organizational departments of the university.